Monday, January 18, 2016

Week 2 Activity: Aesthetics - Compare & Contrast

When you look at "The Weeping Woman" by Pablo Picasso

(image credit:  pablopicasso.org)




Here is my "Weeping Woman"
Small_Emily_Week2Activity_FINAL_MOD-O_1601

To compare the two you can clearly see that both are representing a woman crying.  Whereas Picasso used bright colors mine are fairly muted. I will wanted to give a contrast to the work so I made her almost pull away from the background by making it less noticable.  I thought that this would give a sorrowful feel to the piece. 
My shapes are less geometric.  I still tried to use the cool white/blue combination to give emphasis, as well as making the eyes a bit larger to get the viewers attention.

The black lines in my work I really wanted to help move the viewer around.  From the light lines in the background to the flowing hair from the blossom to the orange lines in the clothes.  I thought the thick lines on the sleeves would push the viewer's attention back up the piece.

His brushwork seemed to give a nice texture to it, whereas I tried to use my brushstrokes to give movement as well as texture.

Picasso's ear almost looks like a small bird flying off the tear drop and down the hair I opted to keep my ear showing but not really significant.

While working on this I actually grew to appreciate his work more, whereas at the beginning i found it unnerving to look at, I can see how he used the different elements and principles of design to get his point across.

All and all I think I pulled off successfully what I wanted to do.  I think using the cardboard my base helped.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment